The issue where the DNS address could not be found on Mac is quite common amongst users. This error indicates that there is a problem with the DNS configuration and it mainly occurs on Google Chrome.
When you are trying to browse any website, you may notice the “DNS address could not be found” error message on the screen. As a result, it can prevent you from accessing the website.
This error appears due to various reasons including incorrect DNS server, an outdated version of the Google Chrome, third-party security software, etc.
Methods to Resolve if DNS Address Could not be Found on Mac:
There are various methods to get rid of the “DNS address could not be found” error on the Mac system. Here, we are going to provide some of the easy and effective methods that can help you out to resolve this error message.
Method 1 – Check the Internet Connection
The first thing that you should do is to check the Internet connection. Sometimes, a poor Internet connection can be the cause of not finding the DNS address and generate this error. Therefore, you should try to check if the WiFi or Ethernet is properly working or not.
If the device is connected to a router, then you can try to restart it. After restarting the router, check if the issue is solved or not.
If the system is connected to an Ethernet cable, try to disconnect the cable and then reconnect it. Then check if the error still appears or not.
Method 2 – Change the DNS Settings
Sometimes, incorrect DNS settings can cause this error message on the computer. So, you need to correct it by following these steps:
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the window.
- Choose “System Preferences” from the Apple menu.
- From the System Preferences window, click on the “Network” icon.
- Thereafter, click on the Advanced button and go to the DNS tab.
- Next, click on the “+” option and add the following two DNS addresses:
- 22.214.171.124 for “Prefered DNS server”
- 126.96.36.199 for “Alternate DNS server”
Once you are done with these steps, click on the OK button to save the changes. After this, click on the Apply button.
Method 3 – Flush DNS Cache
Another effective method to get rid of the error is to flush the DNS cache. Hence the following directions will help you:
- Open the Spotlight, type Terminal and hit the Enter button. This will open the Terminal window.
- Then type the following commands one by one and hit the Enter key after typing each.
- sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
- sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
After executing these commands, reboot the Mac system and check if the glitch is solved or not.
Method 4 – Uninstall Third-Party Security Software
Sometimes, third-party security software can block you from accessing the website. Therefore, you should remove the third-party security software as soon as possible. The following directions will help you with it:
- Open the Finder window and then go to the “Applications” folder.
- Look for the third-party security software, double-click on it.
- Thereafter, click on the “Uninstall” button to start the removal process.
- Once it is uninstalled, restart the Mac system.
Then check if the issue has been fixed or not.
Method 5 – Clear Cache Data in Google Chrome
Clearing the cache data in the Google Chrome application can resolve the error “Server IP address could not be found” on Mac. Below are the steps that you can try:
- On the Mac OS, launch the Google Chrome application.
- Next, click on the menu at the top right corner.
- After that, click on the “More tools” and then choose the “Clear browsing data”.
- In the “Clear Browsing Data” window, mark the checkboxes beside Browsing History, Cookies, and Cache Data.
- Thereafter, set the time to the beginning of time and then click on the Clear Browsing Data button to clear them.
After removing them, reboot the Mac PC and try to access any website on Google Chrome.
Method 6 – Install Latest Version of Network Adapter Driver
If you are using an older version of the Network Adapter, you can come across the message “DNS address could not be found” on Mac. Therefore, you need to update the driver immediately by following these directions:
- Visit the official website of Mac and look for the latest version of the Network adapter driver.
- After finding it, download it by clicking on the “Download” button.
- Once the file is downloaded, install it properly.
- After installing it, restart the Mac system.
Now check if the problem is resolved and DNS address could be found.
Method 7 – Install Latest Version of Google Chrome
An older version of the Google Chrome application can also result in this error. Therefore, you should install the latest version of the Google Chrome application. To know more about it follow these directions hereunder:
- Launch the Google Chrome application. Click on the menu icon and choose “Help”.
- In the Help list, select the “About Google Chrome”.
- From that window, Google Chrome will check for the available updates. If any updates are available, then it will automatically update them.
Once the update process is finished, check whether Mac can find the DNS address now.
Method 8 – Update Mac OS
If the above-mentioned methods did work, try to update the Mac OS to solve the error “DNS address could not be found” on Mac. To update it follow these steps:
- Click on the Apple icon to launch the Apple menu and select the “System Preferences”.
- Click on the “Software Update” option to check the available updates.
- If the update is there, then you will get the “Update” option, so click on it.
- Once the process of updating is complete, the Mac OS will automatically restart.
Hopefully, these methods will be sufficient to get rid of the error regarding “DNS address could not be found” on Mac.