After updating Mac OS you might find an error message of “iMessage an error occurred during activation Mac” will constantly display ion the screen and leave you puzzled. It is a very common problem that might occur due to multiple reasons.
If you ever entered incorrect time or date then this message may pop up on the screen and won’t allow you to open iMessage application from your device.
In this guide, we will discuss all the possible fixes that you may follow to solve the problem on your own.
Why You May Encounter an Error Occurred During Authentication iMessage?
As we have mentioned that there are multiple reasons that are responsible for this particular problem. To solve the issue you have to first know the reasons that are culpable for this.
- In case you have entered the wrong information such as username and password then you may face the same problem with your iMessage account.
- If the date and time are not set correctly then iMessage may stop working.
- Due to outage from Apple’s side also cause the same problem.
- Sometimes third-party applications create conflict with iMessage and as a result, iMessage application won’t open.
Fix iMessage An Error Occurred During Activation Mac
Once you know the reasons, it’s time to resolve the problem. Track on the solutions one by one and get rid of the issue on your own.
Way 1: Turn on your Apple ID for iMessage
The very first thing you have to do is to, launch iMessage from your device. After that, navigate to the Preferences tab and click on it. Now, choose Accounts by tapping on it. Look at the left side of the screen and click on the iMessage application.
Once you see the information regarding your Apple ID, click on the small box beside the option. If it’s already checked uncheck it and wait for a few minutes. Re-check the box and launch iMessage again. Check if the problem is still happening or not.
Way 2: Verify the Date & Time Settings
After turning on your Apple ID you have to check the date and time are set correctly or not. To do so, follow the steps stated here.
- First of all, navigate to the Apple Menu and click on it.
- After that, choose the System Preferences option from the list.
- Now, tap on the “Date & Time” option and you have to check that time and date are set correctly or not.
- Then, click on the small box “Set date and time automatically” and click on it.
- In case you find the box is already checked then uncheck it and keep waiting for thirty to forty seconds.
- But if the box is dimmed then tap on the small lock icon. Here you have to write down the administrative password.
Way 3: Delete Restrictions on iMessage
Sometimes users reported that due to restrictions of iMessage users might not access their iMessage account. In such instances, you have to delete all the restrictions and check if the error still appears or not.
At first, turn on your device and navigate to the Settings option. Open settings and then click on the General tab. From the list choose Restrictions icon and then move to select iMessage.
Here you have to remove all the restrictions by clicking on it one by one. Once the process gets fixed you have to check if the solution is helpful for you or not.
Way 4: Update your iOS Version
In case the issue is still not solved then be sure your device has the latest operating system. Once you update the OS it will not only allow you to use the advanced features but also help to fix bugs and problems that occurred in your device. To update your OS go through the steps.
- The very first thing you have to do is to connect your iPad or iPhone to a WiFi network.
- After that, navigate to the Settings option and choose General from the list.
- Now, choose the Software Update icon and check if any updates are available for your device or not.
- If you find so, then tap on the “Download or Install” option.
- If you are asked to give a password then write down the correct passcode and proceed with the further steps.
- Now, your device starts to verify and take a few more times.
- But in case if you could not find any update then you can update your device using iTunes.
Way 5: Open Mac Keychain and Reset
If the above solutions are not helpful for you then open the Keychain option and from here reset few information.
At the initial step, you have to close iMessage or the FaceTime application from your device. After that, navigate to the Application tab and click on it. Now, tap on the utility icon and move to choose “Keychain Access” from the screen.
After that, look at the top-left of the display and click on the Password tab. Enter the correct password and navigate to the Spotlight search field. Here, you have to type IDS. Remove the file from here and then close Keychain. Now, restart your Mac device and check if the problem has gone or not.
Related Post: How To Fix Mac Error Text ‘Your message could not be sent’?
Way 6: Turn on Location Service
If the Location service is turned off then it is pretty possible that iMessage might not work correctly and an error message constantly showing up. To get rid of the issue you can turn on the Location Service and check the status of the issue.
First of all, you have to move to the System Preferences option from the Setti8nmgs section. After that, click on the Apple menu and then choose the “Security and Privacy” option.
Now, tap on the Privacy option and be sure that the small checkbox is enabled which indicates to enable the Location Service. Once done, restart your device and check if the problem has gone or not.
Way 7: Reset “NVRAM”
Remember that, once you reset NVRAM, the settings including Display resolution, Sound Volume, Time Zone will automatically reset by default. Hence, we recommend you to note down this information in a place before going to reset NVRAM.
- At first, turn off your Mac and after a few minutes turn it on. In the meantime press down the Option, Command, P and R button altogether for ten to fifteen seconds.
- After that, release all the keys and wait until your mac restart automatically.
- If you are asked to give a password then give the correct password.
- Once you have reset the NVRAM, you can update settings on how you have set it initially.
Way 8: Check any Third-Party Networking
In case if you downloaded any anti-virus security, VPN or firewall in your Mac then you have to check that those applications are not blocking your network ports that the iMessage use.
You don’t have to turn off everything but temporarily disabling all those applications can fix the issue as well. Once the problem gets solved, then try to sign in again and check if the same message still appears or not.
Way 9: Do a few Adjustments
If none of the above methods help you to resolve the issue, try out this one by going to the Applications option. After that, click on the utility icon and select the Keychain Access tab. Here, you have to find these two files.
Select all the files and then remove them one by one. At the final step, reboot your Mac and check if the same problem gets vanished or not.
We expect the above solutions are enough for you to eliminate iMessage an error occurred during activation Mac.
But if you ever need any further help regarding any steps that are mentioned above then get connected with professionals.