The S.M.A.R.T helps to detect the drive related problems of the systems. In case if you notice your Mac device is getting worse day by day and become sluggish and unresponsive then it may be due to the S.M.A.R.T error.
Users may face many kinds of difficulties as well. Once you get the same error and you start to ignore it then there is a huge chance of losing data that are stored in your device
But the good thing is that this error won’t restrict you from accessing your hard drive. This error indicates the mishandling of your drives.
If you are also going through the same error then fix S.M.A.R.T. error in Mac device as soon as possible.
What Causes S.M.A.R.T Error Mac?
There are ample reasons that are responsible for this S.M.A.R.T error. So, if you identified the main culprit then solving the error can be easy for you.
- If you are using faulty HDD then you might face the same error with your device.
- By any chance, if the disk temperature increases heavily then it might cause this S.M.A.R.T error.
How To Resolve S.M.A.R.T Error Mac? Stepwise Guidance
In this section, we will discuss how you can get rid of the error from Windows as well as Mac device.
For Windows Users:
The first and foremost thing you have to do is to open your Windows device. After that, Tap on the Computer icon and navigate to the drive. Now, choose the drive and tap on the Properties icon. Stay in the properties tab and from here you have to choose Tools.
Then, select the “Check Now” button and it will help you to launch the Disk Utility tab. Move to select the “Automatically Fix File System Error” option and also tap on the “Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors” tab. Once you selected both the option it will start the repairing process to fix the error.
Once you find the procedure gets over, restart your device and check if the same problem is still showing up or not.
For Mac Users:
- If you are using Mac then the very first thing you need to do is to insert your Restore disc and turn on your Mac device. Press button on your keyboard.
- Once the screen appears you have to choose the correct language and tap on the Installer option.
- From here, choose the Open Disk Utility tab. You can find this option in the Menu section.
- After that, navigate to the “Utilities” option and select “Disk Utility” from here.
- Now, you have to move to the Repair Disk section and keep waiting while the repairing process is going on.
- Once the process gets over, reboot your Mac device and check the status of the error.
Generic Solutions for Both Mac and Windows Users
Stop Using Faulty HDD:
Once you find the S.M.A.R.T error displayed on the screen, then you should check the HDD because it may be on the way to its breakdown. The HDD can fail anytime without any prior notice.
So, it is not safe for you to store your important data in the HDD. so, if you face the same error then we advise you to stop using the corrupted HDD. Also, create a backup copy of the files that are stored in your device.
Scan the Bad Sectors:
To get rid of the S.M.A.R.T error you have to start scanning the partitions of the disk by doing the following.
The first and foremost thing you have to do is to, launch This PC option and find the disk. Now, select the disk by right-clicking on it. Now, move to the Properties option and click on Tools. After that, select the Check icon and it will start checking the error found in your device.
Decrease the Disk Temperature:
Seldom the S.M.A.R.T error can be occurred due to the increasing temperature of the disk. In those instances, you have to eliminate the issue by improving case ventilation.
For that, you should be sure that your device has enough ventilation and all the cooling fans are working properly of your system.
Run Hard Disk Defragmentation:
First of all, you have to open This PC and select the disk by right-clicking on it. After that, choose the Properties section and click on Tools. Here, you will find an option to Optimize.
Just click on it and select the “Optimize and defragment drive” tab. Keep waiting while the optimization is going on. Once the process gets over, reboot your device to check the status of the error.
Reset S.M.A.R.T Error:
You can easily fix the S.M.A.R.T error by performing a reset in BIOS. But before going to the step you have to be sure that you have kept a backup of the important data and files that are kept in your device.
- At the initial step, restart your device and wait to turn it on.
- After that, navigate to the BIOS option.
- Now, click on the Advanced tab and select the SMART Setting from here.
- Then, click on the SMART self-test and here you have to set the value as disabled.
- Reboot your device and check if the error is still occurring or not. If the issue still occurs then contact with professionals.
Hence, with the above information and the solution you can definitely get rid of the S.M.A.R.T. error in Mac device.
So, in the future, while you face the same problem you just follow these solutions and fix the issue on your own. But if you have any further problems then contact experts for better guidance.