Cache files are temporary data stored on the hard drive of the system that is used to speed up the processes. For instance, the browser will download images from a webpage in the form of a cache. Thus, the next time you visit the same page you don’t need to download the same image again.
Old cache files that remain hidden in the system do nothing but accumulate too much space and clutter the system folders. The files that were initially beneficial becomes a drag and slow down the Mac system.
To make it worse, undeleted cache data also leads to other system problems. So, it is required to clear the cache from time to time. But, if you are unaware of how to clear cache on Mac, then you can go through the section hereunder carefully.
Why Should you Clear Cache on Mac?
There are several reasons to clear the old cache from the Mac. Problems with the disk space are one of them. Furthermore, by clearing the cache, you can fix the problems with the laggy web pages that load outdated content.
If you remove old cache from the browser, then it will help you to remove your personal data stored by the apps and websites.
How to Clear Cache? [Easy Hacks]
There are three types of cache files that you can remove from Mac. They are User cache, Browser cache, and System cache.
Here, we are going to help you in clearing up the cache files from all three sections. So, you can have a look at the steps described below:
How to Clear User Cache/System Cache on Mac?
The user/system cache files are mainly created by the applications that are running on the system. In short, it is the file downloaded by the applications you use to work faster and not load it every time you open it.
But, when it takes up too much disk space, then it’s better to remove them from the system. You can do that by using the steps mentioned below:
Note: Before applying the below steps, you can create a backup of the folders if you are worried about data loss.
- First of all, open the Finder and then click on the Go button.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Go to Folder’ option.
- Then, type “~/Library/Caches” in the input field.
- Press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Open all the files one by one and delete the files inside them.
If you remove the user/system cache files completely, then follow the same steps. This time, go to the location “/Library/Caches”. Delete all the files inside the folders and once you finish this, empty the Trash to complete the task.
How to Clear Browser Cache on Mac?
Removing browser cache can free up the space of the system, to help it run faster. Furthermore, it also removes the browser history. You can do this by following the steps mentioned below:
How to Clear Cache from Chrome?
- First, open the browser and then click on the Menu icon.
- Choose the ‘Settings’ option from the list.
- Afterward, select the ‘History’ option and then tap on the ‘Clear browsing data’ option.
- Now, confirm that you have checked the boxes next to the Cached images and files.
- Select the ‘Beginning of Time’ as the time range.
- Lastly, tap on the ‘Clear browsing data’ button to complete the process.
How to Clear Cache from Firefox?
- First of all, open the Firefox browser and then go to the History tab.
- Click on the ‘Clear Recent History’ option.
- Afterward, choose everything from the Time Range menu.
- Tap on the arrow button near the Details option.
- Now, confirm that only the Cache option is selected.
- Lastly, tap on the ‘Clear Now’ button.
Now, you have successfully cleared the cached files from the browser. After executing all the above steps, you can keep all your worries associated with the cache aside.
There are available several cache cleaning tool available for Mac on the internet. You can use any one of them to clear the cache on the Macbook. But, before downloading them you need to verify the authentication.